Silent Hills Officially Cancelled April 28, 2015Posted by Maniac in Game News.
Ever since Konami started to distance itself from all references to the name of the Metal Gear Solid creator Hideo Kojima, gamers everywhere justifiably became concerned about what Hideo Kojima’s future was with Konami. Not only was his development studio working on the latest Metal Gear game, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, it was also working on a new game in the Silent Hill franchise, Silent Hills, with Hellboy‘s director, Guillermo del Toro.
Silent Hills was announced shortly after the Sony Playstation GamesCom 2015 Press Event. At that event, Sony showed a teaser for a game called P.T., and encouraged all their PS4 owners to download the game for free on the Playstation Store. Hours after the event concluded, players stumbled unto the truth behind P.T., and discovered it was a teaser for Silent Hills, a game which would be developed by Hideo Kojima, Guillermo del Toro, and would star Norman Reedus. The Internet, hungry for a new Silent Hill game, went crazy. This was like a dream project.
However, in the past few weeks, users everywhere has been noticing Konami had been removing Hideo Kojima’s name from their websites, and gamers became concerned that Kojima had left Konami or had been fired. While Konami and Kojima stood firm that there would be no problems with the upcoming release of MGS V: The Phantom Pain, this still begged the question as to what the status was for his other game project, Silent Hills. This past weekend, del Toro was asked about the project and said it had been disbanded. Today, Konami confirmed that statement was true.
The P.T. demo is expected to get pulled from the Playstation Store on the 29th of April. If you have a PS4 and haven’t downloaded it, get it right now before its gone forever.
What does the future hold for Silent Hill? Konami says they still plan to make future games for the franchise. Hopefully this gives them the incentive to reassemble Team Silent.